Welcome back to Bake It With Jax, for my second blog. Remember to hit subscribe if you want to be the first to see the new recipes. Next month is chocolate chip cookies! Back to this month, we are baking rock cakes! Why is it called a rock cake you might ask? Rock cake, also called a rock bun, is a small cake with a rough surface resembling a rock. Popular in World War 2 as they used less eggs than a normal cake.
I used gluten free flour with these, makes them a little bit more crumbly when they are hot, but still just as yummy! A quick and easy treat to make, don’t like dried fruit? Why not try chocolate chips! I make mine in to 7, but you can make yours bigger or smaller, just make sure you adjust the cooking time if you do.
Grannies Rock Cakes Recipe
- 90g Butter
- 200g Self Raising Flour
- 90g Caster Sugar
- 90g Mixed Dried Fruit
- 1 Egg
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Line baking tray with parchment paper.
- Rub the butter and flour together between your fingers to make a crumble/breadcrumb mixture.
- Mix in the caster sugar & mixed dried fruit.
- Mix in the egg until all combined. Then using a spoon evenly place quantities of the mixture on the tray. These don’t need to be perfectly formed, they are supposed to look like rocks after all!
- Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Leave to cool for a few minutes then move to a cooling rack to continue to cool. Enjoy!
Fancy baking alongside me, watch the video below. Had a go at making it? Let me know in the comments!
New to my blog I have other recipes on here as well go check them out.
- Bake It With Jax; Grannies Rock CakesWelcome back to Bake It With Jax, for my second blog. Remember … Read more
- Bake it with Jax; Double Chocolate Banana MuffinsWelcome back to Bake It With Jax, for my second blog. Remember … Read more
- Bake it with Jax; Creme Egg Cookie CupsWelcome to the first Bake it with Jax! Every 4th Sunday of … Read more